Safari 2018 #53 Hunting Tigers

by david on November 8, 2019


Trolling for tigers on the Zambezi River Trolling for tigers on the Zambezi River


Johnas and his tiger Jonas and his tiger


Saturday, September 29

One more morning to be up early: a 6:00 AM wake up and some coffee before leaving for the boat.  We had originally planned to cook breakfast, but due to us eating until the late hours of the evening, no one was hungry.  Too bad we couldn’t figure out we did not want breakfast until we got up early enough to cook it. Coffee would be plenty to see us through until lunch.  It was nice to have a little extra time, and even nicer to be able to drink my coffee at a leisurely pace for a change. We left for the boat at 7:15. We were mildly concerned about the possibility of leftover festival traffic and did not want to be late for the boat.  Turned out there was no traffic at all and we were early to the boat. No matter. Time for another cup of magic elixir most people refer to as coffee and to enjoy being on the river. Uri, our guide, showed up right on time. After our introductions and greetings, we were on the boat and motoring up river.  The day would be spent trolling, two at a time, alternating between the three of us. After a strike or caught fish (or as it turned out just getting tired), we would hand the rod off to whomever was waiting in the bow. I got a monster strike within a few minutes of starting and I thought we were going to be in for a great morning on the river.  Unfortunately, just about the opposite was true. Jonas caught a medium tiger fish, but Johann and I got skunked. We broke for lunch and went to meet Byron, Peter, and Craig for lunch.

This was my third time back at the restaurant and I decided to try a pizza over a burger.  The tomato sauce was different than I was used to, but the pizza was still good. Peter decided to come back fishing with us for the afternoon while Byron and Craig finished up some loose ends and picked up supplies for the six of us for supper.  The afternoon’s fishing was even less productive than the morning and it got hot, miserably hot. According to the thermometer, it was 45 Celsius or 113 Fahrenheit, and that was on the river. I did not want to think about what it was in town. We called fishing an hour early and went back to the cottage.  There was lots of shade there and if any breeze at all was blowing it would be nicer than under the boat canopy. It was cooler when we got back but not by a whole lot. Cold drinks would have helped, but Byron and Craig were late in getting back with supplies and that included ice. Turns out the reason they were late was they could not find ice.  They said every place in town was out. Only thing I can figure was it all ended up going to the festival along with most everyone else in town. Ice calamity averted, we had a great meal of “T-Bone” steaks, baked potatoes, and salad. After dinner it was back to the fire with fresh drinks and more stories. We even remembered a few that had not been told already.  It was my last night in camp and I enjoyed every second of it. Tomorrow I would start home.


Dinner with friends around a table in Africa. It does not get much better than this. Dinner with friends around a table in Africa. It does not get much better than this.

Previous post:

Next post: